The mission of Central Gwinnett High School is to improve academic literacy by building meaningful relationships among staff, students, parents and the community at large resulting in measured improvement for all.
Central Gwinnett High School will become a student-focused school committed to high student achievement that serves to cultivate and inspire the continuous improvement of the life-long learner both academically and in the global society.
Results-Based Evaluation System
Central Gwinnett-Lawrenceville High School can trace its roots back to 1821 when the Georgia General Assembly passed an act to open an Academy in Lawrenceville. On January 1, 1826, the Gwinnett Academy began classes in Reading, Writing, English Grammar, Science, Latin and Greek. In 1853, the Lawrenceville Female Seminary opened with classes in Greek, Latin and Stitchery.
The first public school in Lawrenceville began in 1902 after the city of Lawrenceville enacted a school tax. The citizens of town believed that the city needed public schools to provide for the population growth resulting from the construction of railroads. A new brick structure for the high school was constructed in 1923. The “Lawrenceville Panthers” in their gold and white were strong contenders in basketball, track, Latin and Greek orations, one-act plays, girls’ and boys’ declamation, music, spelling, and debate.
The Lawrenceville Public School System became a part of Gwinnett County Public Schools in 1938. The current Central Gwinnett High School was built in 1957 and was part of the consolidation of Lawrenceville High School, Bethesda High School, and Lilburn High School. When the former Lilburn High School attendance area was assigned to Berkmar High School, the Lawrenceville community succeeded in having the name changed to Central Gwinnett-Lawrenceville High School.
Our Logos, Castle, and Location
CGHS is well known for its stadium. Our Black Knight Castle provides a unique venue for our fans and is a landmark in our community. Inside the castle on the first floor is the concession stand and public facilities. The second floor is the press box and viewing area for the coaches of the home and visitor team. The third floor is used as a meeting room for school and community events.